Banking Sales Consultant Job Profile and Description
A banking sales consultant, also referred to as a financial services sales agent, is responsible for working with clients to determine their financial needs, based on which the consultant sells the clients a wide range of financial services. The banking sales consultant uses different methods to get in touch with customers and sell them products, including face-to-face meetings and telephone conversations.
Basically, a banking sales consultant plays a dual role of a salesperson and customer service support. He figures out the financial needs of the customers, answers their queries and then matches a financial service/product to suit their needs.
Banking Sales Consultant Duties and Responsibilities
The following are some of the duties and responsibilities that a banking sales consultant is expected to carry out:
- The person should know financial products and services thoroughly
- Find prospective customers and clients to sell the products/services
- Target new segments in the area to increase sales of the financial products and services
- Network with associations at a local level to promote the products and services
- Monitor the market and have an understanding how the market works
- Keep a watch on competitor’s products and services
Banking Sales Consultant Skills and Specifications
A banking sales consultant requires certain skills in order to work efficiently and carry out the responsibilities perfectly. These skills include the following:
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Be strong in written communication
- Be computer savvy to be able to work with specific computer applications
- Should be able to work long hours, including weekends
- Have a professional manner when dealing with customers
- Should have thorough understanding on finance
Banking Sales Consultant Education and Qualifications
To work as banking sales consultant, a person would require the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or economics
- An MBA is preferable, though not necessary
- A license from the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, or FINRA, is necessary, as many banks and financial institutions require it. To get the license, the person should be working for minimum of 4 months with a bank and have passed the General Securities Registered Representative Examination, or the Series 7 exam.
Banking Sales Consultant Salary
Most banking sales consultants earn a salary ranging from $30,000 to about $150,000 a year. However, there is potential to earn quite a bit on commissions, if the banking sales consultant is able to get more customers.
Category: Banking Job Descriptions