Carpenter Job Profile and Description
One of the major construction workers employed in residential or commercial building projects are Carpenters. They are expert woodworkers who construct, erect, and repair structures made from wood or other similar materials and related materials like glass and ceramic tiles. They are involved in various construction projects, from simple furniture making to erecting buildings and highways.
Carpenter Duties and Responsibilities
- Observe work shift hours and not be late for work.
- Observe safety regulations and wear helmets and other prescribed protective uniforms.
- Report promptly any problem or obstacle in the construction progress to the foreman or supervisor for early resolution.
- Use company provided hand tools and construction devices as prescribed and report immediately any operational problem when using them.
- Construct wooden mould for concrete formation
- Construct and erect wooden scaffolding, tunnel wood bracing and brattices for underground construction projects.
- Install prefabricated building parts in designated places in accordance with blueprint design.
- Repair and construct furniture and fixtures as necessary
- Assist in the installation of construction machinery.
- Accomplish and complete daily job accomplishment reports when required.
Carpenter Skills and Specification
- Excellent medical and physical fitness
- Above average comprehension skills to follow safety regulations, instruction and in interpreting building blueprints
- Above average verbal communication, social and interpersonal skills.
Carpenter Education and Qualifications
- A high school diploma is basic and most carpenters learn while on the job.
- 2-4 years in a formal apprenticeship program is preferred.
- A vocation certificate in carpentry from a community college is an advantage
In 2008, the median hourly wage of salaried carpenters was $18.72 with the middle 50% earning between $14.42 and $25.37. The bottom 10% earned about $11.66 while the top 10% earned $33.34. Non-residential building contractors paid the highest median to carpenters at $21.09 an hour.
Category: Construction Job Descriptions