Chef Assistant Job Profile and Description:
A chef assistant’s job profile is very interesting and challenging. He has to help the head chef in organizing the kitchen and ensuring that food is prepared on time and in the quality required. The chef assistant job carries a lot of responsibility with it and therefore care should be taken to employ only qualified people for it. This job has long working hours and immense pressure as well.
Chef Assistant Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of a chef assistant will involve:
- The first and most obvious duty of any chef assistant is of course to be skilled in preparation of food. He is the chief assistant to the head chef and has to undertake a major portion of the food preparation.
- The chef assistant is also responsible for ensuring that the kitchen is well stocked and all the necessary food items are accounted for. Therefore the chef assistant has to prepare the kitchen inventory and ensure that it is adhered to at all times.
- The chef assistant is also responsible for the development of new recipes which will make their entry into the menu at a restaurant. This is done through constant testing and experimentation. In case the head chef is unavailable, then the chef assistant is also in charge of running the kitchen.
Chef Assistant Skills and Specifications:
The skills and specifications of a chef assistant must be as follows:
- The chef assistant has to be an expert in the field of preparation of food. Training in the development of culinary skills is the most important specification which the chef assistant must have.
- Nutrition, menu planning, inventory making are some of the other skills which the chef assistant must cultivate. This is part of the chef assistant’s repository. This kind of training is provided through apprenticeships and so on.
- Good command of the kitchen and its mechanics are also important. The chef assistant will have to supervise the work of his subordinates, and therefore excellent communication skills are required.
Chef Assistant Education and Qualification:
The chef assistant needs to have the following educational qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent GED
- Culinary training
Chef Assistant Salary:
The salary of a chef assistant per annum is around 50,000 USD. This depends on the working hours, kind of experience and renown, nature of the establishment and so on.
Category: Hospitality Job Descriptions