Chemist Job Profile and Description
A Chemist’s job entails performing standardized and routine chemical examinations, conducting quantitative and qualitative chemical analysis for process control or quality, for knowledge or developing new products. Most of the chemists work in quality and production control in chemical manufacturing factories and some work in research and development. The overall job responsibility of a chemist is to evaluate the physical and chemical properties of a wide variety of synthetic and natural materials in attempt to examine, understand, and utilize them to medicinal and consumer products. Chemists prefer to specialize in some areas like analytical, inorganic, organic, macromolecular, physical and theoretical, materials and medical and chemistry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing test solutions, reagents and compounds for laboratory department to conduct test.
- Developing, improving, and customizing products, formulas, processes, equipment, and analytical methods.
- Analyzing inorganic and organic compounds to determine physical and chemical properties, composition, relationships, structure, and reactions, utilizing spectroscopy, spectrophotometer, and chromatography techniques.
- Directing, coordinating, and advising personnel in test techniques for analyzing physical properties and components of materials.
- Operating laboratory equipment like pH meters, ion analyzers, atomic absorption spectrophotometers, analytical balancers, and so on.
- Writing technical reports, papers, and prepares specifications and standards for products, facilities, processes, and tests.
- Preparing samples for analysis and logs, tracks and processes samples.
- Developing comparison charts, graphs and reference files on laboratory data.
- Calculating testing results through applying determined limits and standards.
- Reviewing or analyzing test results in order to locate inconsistencies or malfunctions.
- Attending meetings related to test results explanation and test procedures.
- Maintaining supply of standard reagents and solutions.
- Repairing, maintaining, and calibrating lab equipment.
- Learning sample preservation, new testing procedures, and operation of advanced laboratory.
Skills and Specifications
- Able to identify complicated problems and research for related information to build and evaluate options and execute solutions.
- Well versed in applying scientific methods and rules to solve problems.
- Able to arrange hints, actions or things in certain pattern using set of rules.
- Highly skilled in quality or performance control analysis of services, products, or processes.
- Communicating effectively in oral and writing.
- Active listener, learner and agile thinker.
- Able to combine information bits to form general conclusions or rules.
- Effective oral skills.
- Strong deductive reasoning ability to problems.
- Strong problem sensitivity skills
- Ability to speak distinctly.
- Ability to use or generate various sets of rules to combine or group things in unlike ways.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or any science related degree.
- PhD in the field of science.
- Related laboratory experience.
Category: Pharmaceutical Job Descriptions