Child Psychotherapist Job Profile and Description
Child Psychotherapist’s job involves examination, assessment and treatment of any behavioral disorder observed in a child. The job of a child psychoterapist is to focus on the psychological issues of the child such as phobias, deprivation, growth delays etc. The child psychotherapist has to analyse the parental outcomes, genital causes, social effects on the child and all the reasons which causes the disorder of a child’s behavior.
Child Psychotherapist Duties and Responsibilities
Some major duties and responsibilities of a Child Psychotherapist are mentioned below:
- The child psychotherapist should patiently handle the children who have psychological and behavioral problems.
- Identify the root cause of problems being faced by child by ascertaining the past event in consultation with parents.
- They have to arrange meetings with the care takers, parents and the child based on intensity and degree of problem.
- The therapist should identify the various ways of treating the child with respect to its requirements and depth of problem.
- The nature of the treatment should be finalised after a brief research on the problems and reasons in consultation with parents.
- They should establish a good relationship with the child
- Should prescribe medications carefully if required.
- Should focus on educating parents on how to approach the child during and after treatment.
- The therapist should be effective liaison between the children and society.
- They also need to carry out crisis management whenever required.
Child Psychotherapist Skills and Specifications
Some of the skill sets and specifications for Child Psychotherapist are mentioned here.
- Possess strong communication and calmness while approaching children.
- Should possess good skills to express in a clear manner.
- Should have an eye for detail and keen observation skills.
- Should possess sound knowledge about the child development principles.
- Have to possess problem solving and logical skills to approach the problems.
- Should possess a pleasing personality.
- Should be patient in handling the situations.
- Coordination abilities to provide good care for children.
Child Psychotherapist Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for Child Psychotherapist are listed below:
- A bachelor’s degree in psychology.
- Certifications in psychological practices, neurosciences and cognitive psychology.
- Masters or Doctorate in psychology is preferred.
- Should hold a work license.
- Hold a minimum experience of 4 years as a child psychotherapist.
Child Psychotherapist Salary
The average salary of a Child Psychotherapist is around $65,000 per annum. The salary varies depending upon the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Category: Health Care Job Descriptions