Commercial Art Gallery Manager Job Profile and Description
A commercial art gallery manager is in charge of the maintenance and upkeep of the gallery, holding conferences and exhibitions in the gallery, attracting funding and generally regulating the daily activities of such galleries. This is a very prestigious job and it requires a great deal of networking ability, contacts and a wide range of experience in previously handling exhibitions and galleries elsewhere.
Commercial Art Gallery Manager Duties and Responsibilities
The major duties and responsibilities of a commercial art gallery manager are:
- The first and most important job duty of a commercial art gallery manager is to make arrangements for exhibitions in his gallery.
- The manager has to ensure the safety and transportation of the objects from the source to the gallery and back to the source.
- The commercial art gallery manager has to oversee the day to day working of the gallery. This includes keeping a record of daily activities, a log of the staff members, ensuring that the gallery is in best condition and others.
- The commercial art gallery manager has to communicate with sponsors and ensure that exhibitions are held regularly. This will ensure money for the maintenance of the gallery.
Commercial Art Gallery Manager Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications of a commercial art gallery manager are:
- Organizational skills are very important for a commercial art gallery manager. Such an individual has to plan exhibitions and organize sponsorships, exhibits, and other events.
- The commercial art gallery manager must be skilled in the scientific techniques that are very important in running a gallery. For example, the temperature of the commercial art gallery has to be kept stable, suitable ventilation must be present, issues of lighting and shadows are important.
- The commercial art gallery manager must have great skills in keeping logbooks and records and ensuring smooth financial transaction.
- He must have excellent computing skills and also communication skills to persuade collectors to yield their painting etc, for display.
Commercial Art Gallery Manager Education and Qualification
The educational qualifications of a commercial art gallery manager are as follows:
- High school diploma or equivalent GED
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts and Aesthetics
- Master’s degree in Arts and Aesthetics
Commercial Art Gallery Manager Salary
A commercial art gallery manager will earn anything between 120,000 to 200,000 USD per annum depending on the affiliation of the gallery with governmental or private houses, the number of exhibitions held, sponsorships and flow of funds, grants received and other factors.
Category: Management Job Descriptions