Doctor Job Profile and Description
The Doctor’s job entails effective utilization of skills and medical knowledge for diagnosing, preventing and supervising a disease. Doctors work predominantly in public sectors, but also in the armed forces, pharmaceutical industry, research and outpatient clinics. In addition to treating patients, the doctors refer them to various health care professionals like radiographers, nurses, physiotherapists, pharmacists. Most doctors prefer to specialize in one field of work like emergency medicine, paediatrics, psychiatry, anesthetics, general surgery, general medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, trauma and orthopedics.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervising and providing systematic care to patients in hospital wards as well as in outpatient clinics.
- Using appropriate equipment like stethoscopes, blood pressure monitors in therapy and diagnosis.
- Admitting the patients needing investigations, special care, and treatment.
- Prescribing medicines and carrying out surgical procedures.
- Examining and discussing with patients in order to diagnose their health conditions.
- Making detailed notes as a legal documentation of treatment beneficial to other health care providers or professionals.
- Carrying out particular procedures like specialist investigations, performing operations.
- Working with senior or junior doctors as a team member, either in the same personnel or within other specializations.
- Undertaking managerial duties like staffing the unit, planning the workload, particularly at senior levels.
- Liaising with other non-medical and medical faculty in the hospital to guarantee high quality treatment.
- Working in a method that is reliable with health and safety practices, especially concerning to the handling and disposal of body fluids and sharps.
- Participating in the ongoing training offered by the health care services and other related institutions.
- Keeping informed of the latest medicinal information.
- Promoting proper health education.
- Teaching medical students and junior doctors, researching and auditing.
- Participating in creating, presenting and monitoring health programs or events as appropriate.
- Participating actively in the orientation programs of new faculty to organization’s policy, philosophy, health center functions, and procedures to encourage effective teamwork.
Skills and Specifications
- Able to respond to demanding and complicated patient situations.
- Effective communication with other doctors as well as patients.
- Maintain concise, timely and accurate confidential records of patients.
- Able to prioritize patients according to their clinical needs.
- Good time management skills to balance the clinical and administrative duties.
- Able to work very long hours, often under tight pressure.
- Ability to solve difficult problems.
- Should be able to challenge decisions.
- Strong decision-making and practical skills.
Education and Qualifications
- Degree in Medicine.
- General practice after graduation in medicine.
Category: Health Care Job Descriptions