EDP Computer Operator Job Description and Profile
Under supervision, the job of EDP Computer Operator entails the control of large computer systems and related equipment. He performs support tasks and assignments on the company’s computer system and performs other computer work as required. An EDP computer operator displays ample knowledge in the operation in medium to big scale computers and has general knowledge in job control language.
Duties and Specifications
- Controls a number of big scale IBM mainframe computers that has multiple processing operating systems.
- Controls other related peripheral equipment such as tape drives, printers, communications devices, network equipment as well as other various machines the handles forms.
- Performs back-ups on computer systems.
- Follows established and existing company procedures in routinary problem situations.
- Consults with his leader or may assist him, the lead operator or systems analyst on solving difficult computer systems related problems.
- Utilizes database computer management software for problems on recording job and device breakdowns.
- Performs preventive maintenance and fixing of computer and related equipment.
- Cleans tape drives, tapes, printers and other equipments and devices.
Skills and Specifications
- Able to monitor terminal in order to determine status and operating conditions of the computer system.
- Must be able to read and apply computer system technical manuals.
- Must operate efficiently a computer keyboard.
- Must perform precise computer system support work.
- Be able to learn equipment operation and maintenance.
- Must learn proper tape and disc storage practices.
- Be able to learn and utilized software on database management.
- Must have the skill to learn diagnosis of various system problems.
- Learn prioritizing work for optimum production efficiency
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer is desired although only an Associate Degree is necessary.
- Previous experience in the operation of computers is desirable.
Category: IT Job Descriptions