An elementary art teacher is a teacher who teaches art in elementary school the students. These teachers may be hired both by public and private schools and have the responsibility of deciding which art to teach to the students and how to go about imparting them art education.
An elementary art teacher has to perform many duties apart from just teaching and to qualify for this position, one needs to have certain specific educational requirements and skills. The following is an elementary art teacher job description.
Elementary Art Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
A elementary art teacher must perform the following given responsibilities and duties:
- An elementary art teacher is responsible for classroom management and disciplining of students.
- It is the duty of an elementary art teacher to decide which art projects to demonstrate in front of students and what core segments of art must be taught at what level.
- Bringing out the artist from within the students by encouraging them is also a responsibility of an art teacher.
- An elementary art teacher is also responsible for conducting assignments, tests and taking students outdoors to practice sketching and drawing etc.
- Another duty which an elementary art teacher needs to perform is determining the art supplies and thinking of new ways to engage students.
Elementary Art Teacher Skills and Specifications
The following are some of the skills and specifications of an elementary art teacher:
- An elementary art teacher must be a great artist with a creative and imaginative mind.
- An elementary art teacher must be patient with the students and should be able to manage the class properly.
- He/she should have excellent interpersonal skills and ability to assess and observe the students.
- An elementary art teacher should be hardworking and willing to work on the improvement of skills of the pupils.
Elementary Art Teacher Education and Qualification
The following are some of the educational requirements for an elementary art teacher:
- Basic understanding of art and art techniques is a compulsory requirement for an art teacher but formally, any person aspiring to become an art educator must have a bachelor’s degree in education.
- In some cases, it may be a compulsory requirement to pursue certificate or diploma courses in art to be able to get this job position.
Elementary Art Teacher Salary
On an average, an elementary art teacher is expected to earn an annual salary of $34390.
Category: Teacher Job Descriptions