A geotechnical technician is an individual who applies the theory and principles of civil engineering in disciplines such as designing, planning, construction and maintenance of structures etc.
These technicians generally work under the direction of the engineering staff and perform a number of job duties and responsibilities. A geotechnical technician falls under the category of civil engineering technicians and must be sufficiently qualified and educated to be able to bag this job.
To understand more about the job of a geotechnical technician, you can refer to the following given information on geotechnical technician job description.
Geotechnical Technician Duties and Responsibilities
The following is a list of the various duties and responsibilities which a geotechnical technician has to fulfil:
- The primary job duty of a geotechnical technician is to calculate the various dimensions, profile, square footage etc. by making use of several types of equipments such as computers, calculators etc.
- Another duty of a geotechnical technician is to review project blueprints after reading the structural specifications so as to calculate the dimensions of structure.
- A major responsibility of a geotechnical technician is to prepare reports and record the project activities and data related to the project.
- It is the duty of a geotechnical technician to evaluate the field conditions and thereby plan the activities that are to take place.
- A geotechnical technician is responsible for draft dimensional drawings etc.
Geotechnical Technician Skills and Specifications
A geotechnical technician needs to possess the following given skills and specifications:
- A geotechnical technician should be extremely focussed and hardworking. He/she should be observant and should have critical thinking skills.
- A geotechnical technician should be an excellent communicator and must possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Another skill which a geotechnical technician must have is active listening abilities and good Math and civil engineering skills and knowledge.
Geotechnical Technician Education and Qualification
The following are some of the educational requirements for a geotechnical technician:
- A geotechnical technician must complete bachelors in civil engineering from a recognised college or university. This degree lasts for 4 years.
- He/she can also pursue master’s in civil engineering to be able to bag a better job or a higher position in the same field.
- Computer proficiency and knowledge of different tools and equipments etc. is also necessary.
Geotechnical Technician Salary
Any person who is working as a geotechnical technician in a company can expect to earn an average median salary of $39000. The salary may vary depending upon the job profile, experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Category: Technician Job Descriptions