GIS Analyst Job Profile and Description
A GIS analyst or a Geographical Information Systems analyst is an individual who is hired by a governmental agency or body to read various kinds of geographical information from a map and enter it into the form of data. They must have excellent knowledge of field-related technology and how this technology can be utilised in situations which are real in nature.
A GIS analyst may also be required to interpret data and is hence an important employee for a state, local or national government. To be hired at this position, one needs exceptional educational qualifications and certain specific skills. The detailed job description of a GIS analyst has been provided below and can be used for reference purpose by anyone.
GIS Analyst Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a GIS analyst are given as follows:
- A GIS analyst is responsible for reading geographical information and mapping software programs etc.
- He/she is also responsible for displaying and studying the distance relationship within a country and even creating entire topological maps from scratch by making use of some software programs as well as parameters.
- It is the duty of a GIS analyst to interpret and display important information properly and help the government in providing solutions for certain geographical issues which are being faced by it.
GIS Analyst Skills and Specifications
A GIS analyst possesses many skills which are important to fulfil the duties and responsibilities mentioned above. The following are some of the major skills required.
- A GIS analyst must have math and statistical skills and should be very focused.
- Another skill required by an individual who is a GIS analyst is good communication skills and leadership qualities.
- He/she must also be creative and should be able to work with various kinds of computer softwares etc.
GIS Analyst Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a GIS analyst are given below:
- A bachelors’ degree in geology, computer science, surveying engineer etc is the right path to get to the position of GIS analyst.
- A master’s degree in the same field can also prove to be useful as it too may be required.
- There are many geography programs offered by universities which can add to the pool of knowledge.
GIS Analyst Salary
Any person working as a GIS analyst is likely to earn a median salary of $61640.
Category: Analyst Job Descriptions