Health and Safety Inspector Job Profile and Description
A health and safety inspector has many job duties. This includes inspecting places like schools, restaurants, industrial work spaces, slums, urban tenements, fair grounds, fetes and others for infrastructural strength and safety, as well as food and drinks quality control. These individuals are usually associated with governmental regulatory bodies and they are required to carry out periodic checks.
Health and Safety Inspector Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a health and safety inspector will involve:
- A licensed health and safety inspector usually works with the government and inspects schools, restaurants, factories, dwelling places and other areas where health and hygiene as well as sanitation can be an issue.
- The health and safety inspector can order the closure of such a place in case it does not meet the health and safety requirements of the state. In certain other cases, there is scope for fines, and restricting operations.
- A health and safety job inspector has to compile reports giving his assent or dissent to a particular institution or project that he has checked.
- The health and safety job inspector has to ensure that the institution is compliant with federal or state safety regulations.
Health and Safety Inspector Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required of a health and safety inspector include:
- The individual should be completely updated on the legal and governmental requirements regarding health and safety. This includes understanding and being able to operate technical instruments like air purifier, air quality tester, food tester and so on.
- The health and safety inspector must be capable of communicating with the workers in a particular field of work, understanding their problems and advising them to follow norms which will increase health and safety value. Thus, good communication skills are also required.
- The health and safety job inspector must be conversant in basic computer skills, and have the ability to make reports, budgets and plans.
Health and Safety Inspector Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a health and safety inspector are as follows:
- High school diploma or equivalent GED
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health and Safety or Industrial Hygiene
- License from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals
Health and Safety Inspector Salary
A health and safety inspector salary is around 45,000 USD per annum. This will vary according to the post, agency and work experience of the individual.
Category: Health Care Job Descriptions