Health Data Analyst Job Profile and Description
A health data analyst is a professional who is responsible for collecting health data and converting them into an easily processed report that can be used by supervisors and workers in order to make decisions. A health data analyst compiles information from hospital inventories, insurance records and patient records through wide use of computers. He develops databases from the data acquired, for generating performance reports. He employs statistical methods and software in order to perform research, analysis, solve problems and to improve the quality and accuracy of information.
Health Data Analyst Duties and Responsibilities
The following are the duties and responsibilities of a health data analyst:
- Acquire, manage and manipulate data related to the health care industry.
- Identify trends and patterns in the performance of departments.
- Accuracy and duplication of cost figures can be identified.
- Improvise the administrative service effectiveness.
- Develop and generate reports and projections from the data that is captured.
- Explain technologies to the members of the health care unit so that they can use the technologies.
- Educate staff members about accessing databases to find health information.
Health Data Analyst Skills and Specifications
The following are the skills and specifications that are required by a health data analyst:
- Good at generating crystal reports.
- Sound knowledge in excel, power-point and other MS office applications.
- Knowledge in Structured Query Language.
- Good at information set measurement.
- Ability to analyze and to prioritize tasks.
- Good at strategic planning and problem solving methodologies.
- Communication skills along with ability to work in a team are required.
- Ability to work independently along with strong organizational and mathematical skills is required.
Health Data Analyst Education and Qualification
The following are the education and qualification required by a health data analyst:
- A Bachelor’s of Arts or Health informatics or Health information management is preferred.
- Knowledge of MS Access, SQL Server, Visual Studio and business objects are necessary.
- Must possess knowledge in Medicaid and Medicare procedures along with NDC and ICD-9 coding procedures.
- Certification can be obtained from The American Health Information Management Association after passing the required examination for certification.
- Experience for about 2 to 5 years in the field can be added advantage for getting a job.
Health Data Analyst Salary
A health data analyst earns around $72,000 per annum and the employment opportunities for health data analyst is expected to increase 15% by the year 2020.
Category: Health Care Job Descriptions