A healthcare administrator also known as medical and health services manager has a very significant and crucial role in the administrative departments of hospitals and healthcare facilities. They have either specialized in a certain clinical department or work as a general administrator thus handling various departments. As the healthcare scenario is changing every day, thus a healthcare administrator must be well informed to adapt to the new changes and complexities of this field. He must have a thorough knowledge about the latest developments, technical innovations around the world and have more focus on preventive care. Healthcare administrative department have specific specialties in most of the hospitals to deliver accurate services. These specialties includeemergency care, surgery, nursing, therapy, maintenance of medical records or health information. A healthcare administrator is required to have undergone extensive professional training and must possess legal practicing license as this particular area deals with lives of patients and has no room for discrepancies.
Healthcare Administrator Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a healthcare administrator may be listed as follows:
- Responsible for information management.
- Providing medical and office supplies.
- Be thorough in medical terminologies and possess brief knowledge about medical procedures.
- Record medical histories of patients and schedule them for hospitalization or other medical procedures.
- Be well versed in using fax machines, credit card machines and dictation equipment.
- Preparing medical bills and tax reports of patients.
- Schedule appointments, report to families of patients and organize medical records.
- Represent the hospital by meeting with investors or serving on a board of governors.
Healthcare administrator skills and specifications
The skills and specifications of healthcare administrator are as follows:
- Must be dedicated, disciplined and willing to work hard.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Should have an exceptional communication skill to be able to handle various adverse situations.
- Must ensure to deliver the facility of the highest quality care to the patients.
- Must have a good knowledge and keep himself up to date about the latest developments in medical world.
- Should have good technical knowledge and administrative management skill.
Healthcare administrator Education and qualification
The education and qualification required for a healthcare administrator are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration is the minimum requirement for this job.
- He must have acquired state-approved training and an experience certificate in this field and must have a practicing license from any accredited institute.
Healthcare administrator salary
Annual Salary of a healthcare administrator lies between $60,000-$75,000 varying from place to place.
Category: Health Care Job Descriptions