IT Risk Manager Job Profile and Description
An IT risk manager is an official who is bestowed with the responsibility of identifying risks that affect performance of IT companies, and come up with the best solutions to manage them effectively. It is not an easy job to perform, for a large part of it involves looking through seemingly perfect systems and detect the loopholes and faulty practices as well as risks that may occur as a process of operating such systems.
The job of an IT risk manager does not halt at identifying the problems and risks, he needs to thoroughly assess them and document each and every issue, and then report to higher authorities. It is upon the risk manager to provide for risk management strategies and solutions to combat risks.
IT Risk Manager Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of an IT risk manager include:
- It is the most important duty of the risk manager to conduct an overall survey of the IT project(s) or systems under study and identify the sources of risks. The identification alone does not qualify as the duty, one needs to thoroughly study them and report respective company.
- IT risk managers need to operate alongside IT officials and ensure risk handling at each stage.
- Assessment of risks is important; and so are devising of effective risk management techniques. The risk manager needs to analyze the aspects that affect the IT issues and manage them through proper methods.
- It is an important responsibility of the IT risk manager to estimate risks in different areas that the company or organization operates in and also devise methodologies to handle them.
- Risk management in IT companies does not only involve managing IT and computer related risks, it includes managing all other aspects of the industry or the company as a whole; hence risk factors may range from financial to human resources and thus be managed accordingly.
IT Risk Manager Skills and Specifications
- Technical insight is very important for an IT risk manager.
- Ability to identify, understand, and expertly handle IT risks.
- Problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Organizational skills are necessary and so are communication and interpersonal traits.
- IT risk managers require an overall awareness so as to identify the probable sources of risks effectively, and possibly beforehand.
IT Risk Manager Education and Qualification
The education and qualification standards expected of an IT risk manager are given below:
- Graduation is compulsory; either a Bachelor’s degree in IT or computer science, or in areas of Management Studies, Finance, economics, statistics, or risk management is required.
- Master’s degree in specialized areas or an MBA does help earn better job opportunities as IT risk manager.
- A minimum of 3 – 7 years of experience in the IT industry or in any managerial position is required.
- Certifications must be authenticated by the State. Many companies require risk managers to have standard licensure.
IT Risk Manager Salary
The starting salary for an IT risk manager lies in the range of $30,000 – $50,000 per annum while higher level and experienced IT risk managers may earn as high as $75,000 to $1, 15,000 annually.
Category: IT Job Descriptions