Legal Assistant Job Profile and Description
A Legal Assistant’s job entails managing all administrative tasks of legal cases. These tasks generally include editing and preparing correspondence and legal documents, maintaining paper and electronic files, arranging depositions, correspondence, calendaring. They work for multiple paralegals and attorneys in multi-disciplinary team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing and formatting memoranda, correspondence, and other legal credentials. Drafting independently standard routine pleadings, correspondence, and other documents.
- Reviewing, sorting, and date stamping incoming mails.
- Reading and electronically profiling e-mails case wise.
- Ensuring the effective delivery of outgoing mails, messenger deliveries, overnight deliveries, and facsimiles in a well-timed manner.
- Filing pleadings via legal messenger or electronically with courts.
- Maintaining superior public relations with business associates and clients.
- Scheduling appointments, meetings, depositions, and other meets for an attorney.
- Assisting in scheduling of seminars, industry dinners or luncheons, and other functions as requested.
- Working closely with other faculty in a team-familiarized manner.
- Working closely with paralegals for maintaining structured and comprehensive file indexes and case files.
- Proofreading the legal documents as required.
- Assisting with Power Point presentations to existing clients, prospective clients, and other industry related seminars.
Skills and Specifications
- Ability to read and write for proof reading and editing purposes.
- High-level proficiency in MS Office suite.
- Proficiency in internet research activities.
- Familiarity with case and document management software.
- Good understanding of policies and procedures of law.
- Operate under minimal supervision.
- Ability to transcribe correspondence and reports, legal documents.
- Ability to equilibrate priorities and organize work effectively to meet deadlines.
- Ability to operate computer, fax machine, scanner, photocopier, typewriter, and telephone.
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
Educations and Qualifications
- High school diploma or degree in Law from an accredited institution.
- Legal assistant certification from an accredited institution.
Category: Legal Job Descriptions