Librarian Job Profile and Description
A librarian is an individual who provides support to students and staff in a library. It is the duty of a librarian to organize, manage and disseminate information in the form of journals, periodicals and books. They help teachers and students retrieve and sign up for reading materials. Modern libraries are computerized. Consequently, librarians are also involved in the development of web pages and the management of databases.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Handling enquiries from teachers and students.
- Managing such resources as books, periodicals and journals.
- Maintaining a reading environment that is not only friendly but inviting.
- Managing facilities in the library with an aim of providing flexible access.
- Providing the teachers and students with instructions on how to search for resources.
- Promoting reading.
- Coordinating and planning the development of library applications and goals.
- Managing the library budget.
- Assisting in the development of courses and curricula.
- Updating both printed and electronic information resources.
- Cataloging books and other information resources.
- Coordinating the collection of books, periodical and journals.
- Conducting research on topics which are of interest to teachers or students.
- Facilitating reading clubs.
- Managing access to information resources in computers.
- Digitizing information sources.
- Preparing grants to obtain funding so as to expand resources in the library.
- Building collections with an aim of responding to the reading needs of students and teachers.
- Managing and supervising library staff.
- Helping individuals search for and locate books and reading materials.
- Liaising with suppliers.
- Keeping resource records that are up-to-date.
Skills and Specifications
- Good personality
- Superior communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Wonderful organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work with both students and teachers
- Ability to use computers effectively.
Education and Qualifications
- High school diploma
- Bachelor’s degree in Library/Information Science
Category: Education Job Descriptions