Line cook job description and profile
Line cooks are the cooks who are assigned particular tasks in the kitchen like grilling or cutting ingredients required for the preparation of dishes. They usually do not participate in the administration activities of the kitchen. The line cooks are miscellaneous workers. They can be assigned any task in the kitchen and they are expected to follow implicit orders. A line cook may either be assigned to cook a full dish or carry out a particular function required in the preparation.
Line cook duties and specification
The duties and responsibilities of a line cook are given below.
- Following and fulfilling the duties given by the senior chefs
- Keeping their stations clean and well stocked with the ingredients required to cook the dish that they are ordered to prepare
- Keeping the kitchen clean and sanitized
- Fulfilling duties on time so as not to delay the preparation of the dish
- Use ingredients in the right proportion and be aware of the exact procedure of preparation of food
Line cook skills and specifications
The skills and specifications of a line cook are given below.
- Understanding orders clearly and basic culinary skills
- Ability to work swiftly and efficiently
- Good sense of taste and smell
- Ability to perform any function around the kitchen
- Must be able to deliver high quality work
- Knowledge about the different cooking equipments and ingredients
- Ability to remain balanced and work under emergency situations and pressure
- Ability to work well in a group
- Ability to stand in hot places all day long
Line cook education and qualification
A high school degree is usually not required for the job of a line cook. However, he should be able to understand and distinguish between different kitchen ingredients and equipments. A basic knowledge about sanitation of the kitchen, safe working practices and basic culinary skills are sufficient for the job of a line cook.
Line cook salary
The salary of a line cook increases with experience. Although the initial pay will be in the range of $19,000 to $30,000, a line cook with experience can earn up to $45,000 per year. The average salary of a line cook is $25,000.
Category: Hospitality Job Descriptions