Materials Manager Job Profile and Description
Typically, a Materials Manager is also referred to as a purchase manager and is liable for planning, procurement, storage, control, and distribution of goods and synchronizing all work functions with the purchasing department and vendors. Quality maintenance and budget compliance also fall under the purview of the Material Manager’s profile. Material Managers are mostly required in retail industries, warehouses and export related businesses.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducting market survey and analysis of material cost and prices.
- Planning and making budget for procuring materials.
- Coordinating and negotiating with vendors for price and procurement.
- Organizing and supervising the shipping and receiving of all materials.
- Developing procurement plans, assessing transportation, and carting of materials.
- Formulating of contracts and release of orders to suppliers.
- Managing records of all stock and inventory.
- Making assessment reports of availability, price, market survey and supply of material.
- Maintaining the standard and quality of goods and materials.
- Recruitment of materials staff and organizing of necessary training for them.
Skills and Specifications
- Should have strong communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to network and deal with vendors and suppliers.
- Strong leadership abilities.
- Analytical skills and the ability to skillfully plan and organize functions.
- Supervising and delegating work to subordinates and ability to evaluate their performance.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in administration, material management, logistics, supply chain or any associated field of study.
- Post Graduate degree in material management, retailing, operations, inventory management, or any related field, with a minimum 2 to 3 years experience in material procurements.
Category: Warehousing Job Descriptions