A Math or a Mathematics teacher is an educator or teacher who teaches Mathematics as the subject in a school, college or any other educational institute. Any person who is working at the position of a Maths teacher must have a degree or coursework in Maths so that he/she can teach the subject comfortably. Depending upon the classes or levels he/she teaches, a Math Teacher’s job is divided into several categories like junior high Math Teacher, Higher secondary Math teacher, college Math teacher etc. The following is a detailed Math Teacher job description.
Math Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
A Math teacher has to fulfil many duties and responsibilities. The following are some of the main tasks and duties:
- A Math Teacher is responsible for preparing lesson plans on a regular basis and then teaching according to the plans.
- He/she is responsible for imparting education to the students and solving their doubts and queries.
- It is the duty of a Math teacher to prepare question papers and assignments for the evaluation of the students.
- He/she is also responsible for checking the assignments, tests and examination sheets of the students and marking them with a suitable grade or score.
- Conducting parent teacher meetings and discussing the child with his/her parent is also a major duty of a Math teacher.
- A Math Teacher must conduct attendance, attend staff meetings and create an environment of discipline in the class.
Math Teacher Skills and Specifications
The following are the skills required by a Math Teacher:
- A math teacher must have exceptional Math Knowledge and education to be able to impart that knowledge.
- He/she must be extremely dedicated and should have good teaching abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are very important for a Math Teacher to possess.
- Ability to hear students out and help them understand lessons is also vital for a Math Teacher.
- He/she must have good observation skills, leadership qualities and organisational abilities.
Math Teacher Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a Math Teacher are provided below:
- A bachelor’s degree in Math is the necessary requirement to become a Math Teacher.
- Most schools also ask for a Major in Math and education courses which can help a candidate learn how to teach.
- Each state has different criteria for certification or licensure which is also compulsory for a teacher to have.
Math Teacher Salary
A Math Teacher is likely to earn an average median salary of $53230 in US.
Category: Teacher Job Descriptions