Medical Records Clerk Job Profile and Description
A health care unit would fail to run successfully if it does not have a Medical Records Clerk to its aid. These people keep an account of every little development and event that has occurred in the unit which might be of some significance in the future. These people need some sort of a formal training for the records, which they need to deal with, are related to specialized nature of medical record work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collecting information from the patients on their medical history, complications, health complaints, test results in order to make a complete medical record of every patient.
- Compiling of the medical records into charts thereby ensuring that all information is present in the chart.
- Operating as and when required depending on the shift hours and ensuring all necessary details is being covered in the charts.
- Checking whether every patient’s details are recorded accurately and securely in order to avoid confusion in the future.
- Processing of patient’s documents related to their admission and discharge, which helps to keep a track of their period of stay in the health care unit.
Skills and Specifications
- Active listening skills
- Good understanding of medical terminology
- Ability of critical thinking
- Good medical record management ability
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Information and associated degrees in medical terminology. Records management etc.
- Five to ten years experience in related field is an added advantage.
Category: Medical Job Descriptions