Nursery worker Job Profile and Description
A nursery worker works in a plant nursery where he is responsible for planting seeds, cultivating, harvesting, and transplanting trees, shrubs, or plants, looking after the flowers and for the overall maintenance of the nursery. A nursery worker is like a nurturer and must carefully take care of the plants.
Duties and Responsibilities
- A nursery worker needs to plant, spray, weed, fertilize, and water plants and use gardening tools
- He needs to regulate greenhouse conditions
- The areas must be cleaned and cleared of weeds and landscaping must be done
- Maintenance of irrigation and climate control systems id very important too
- He must also maintain inventory, and order different materials as and when required
- He needs to provide advice to the customers about the selection, purchase, and care of plants
- He must keep proper records of the plants and their growth
- He has to sell and deliver plants and flowers to customers
Skills and Specifications
- A nursery worker must have knowledge of horticulture and methods of raising and caring for flowers
- He should also know about other plants in greenhouses and outdoor beds
- He should understand which diseases or pests might affect the plants and make provisions for their control
- He must also be creative and design the displays well
- He must have ability to train subordinate employees, to assign tasks, and to supervise their work.
- He must have knowledge of the preparation of soil, arrangement of flower beds, transplanting of flowers and other plants
- He must be able to carefully use the different gardening tools and materials
Education and Qualifications
Education qualifications would depend on the job position; for basic job a high school degree is enough and training takes place on the job. But a bachelor’s degree along with specialisation in horticulture, experience in greenhouse-related work etc proves to be more helpful.
Category: Agriculture Job Descriptions