An Orthopaedic technician is an individual whose job is to work with orthopaedic surgeons and provides care and medical attention to patients with injured bones and joints etc. Within this job, there are many duties and responsibilities which the technician has to perform on a daily basis.
He/she applies casts, splints and braces and also takes orders from the surgeon to make sure that the patient is given the best treatment to overcome his/her injury or trouble. To become an orthopaedic technician, there are some educational qualifications that one needs to pursue. To know more about orthopaedic technician job description, you can refer to the following given information:
Orthopaedic Technician Duties and Responsibilities
Given below are the various duties as well as responsibilities which an orthopaedic technician must fulfil:
- The main and most primary duty of an orthopaedic technician is to treat bone and joint injuries.
- He/she is responsible for application as well as removal of casts, splints, braces etc.
- It is the responsibility of an orthopaedic technician to teach patients how to walk with clutches and what precautions to take while the treatment is going on.
- Another responsibility of an orthopaedic technician is to assist the orthopaedic surgeons during surgical procedures and help them in setting broken bones and also in the fitting of prosthetic limbs.
- It is the duty of an orthopaedic technician to give instructions to the patients and their family.
Orthopaedic Technician Skills and Specifications
Given below are all the main skills and specifications that are needed by an orthopaedic technician:
- An orthopaedic technician must have very strong base and knowledge of anatomy, medical terminology and physiology etc.
- He/she must have knowledge of application and removal of splints, braces and casts etc.
- He/she must be well trained to work in the operating room and assisting the surgeons.
- Good communication skills, excellent leadership skills and team working abilities are the other skills which an orthopaedic technician must possess.
Orthopaedic Technician Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for an Orthopaedic technician are as follows:
- An applied science graduation course in orthopaedic technical degree is a must for anyone who wants to be an orthopaedic technician.
- After this, the candidate must obtain a certification to be able to work as an orthopaedic technician and this can be attained by taking a certification test.
Orthopaedic Technician Salary
The average annual salary of an orthopaedic technician is $38,000.
Category: Technician Job Descriptions