Patient Representative Job Profile and Description
A patient representative is an individual who works in a hospital or a physician’s office and have to carry out the responsibility of providing service to patients. They have to attend to and answer the queries of the patients in regards to billing procedures, policies and the services available in the medical service organization and others.
It is the patient representative who may have to deal with the complaints of the patients. A patient representative also works as a bridge between the medical insurance company and the patient. The information communicated by the doctor is sometimes passed on by the patient representative to the patient.
Patient Representative Duties and Responsibilities
There are various duties and responsibilities required to be carried out by a patient representative. They are as follows:
- Attending and answering the queries of the patient in regards to factors like billing, policies and procedures and services available
- Dealing with the complaints of the patients and trying to find solution to the problems
- Acting as a bridge between the patient and the medical insurance company
- In case the doctor wants to pass on some information to the patient, he communicates that to the patient representative and he then further communicates that to the patient
- Making calls of patient in order to remind them about outstanding medical bills
- Providing patient referrals
- Distributing paperwork among the patients
- Filing and documenting information in order to maintain records
- Sometimes they may have to act as a liaison between the patient and the relatives of the patient
- Communicating the complaints of the patients to the appropriate staff of the medical facility center
- Making the patient understand about a certain medical procedure
- Assisting patients with an administrative task
Patient Representative Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications required for an individual in order to work as a patient representative are as follows:
- Need to have excellent analytical skill
- Should be organized in nature
- Must have an eye for detail
Patient Representative Education and Qualification
The educational qualifications required for a patient representative are as follows:
- Must have a high school diploma
- It is an advantage to have done a community college coursework
- An associate degree in health information technology helps.
Patient Representative Salary
The average annual salary of a patient representative varies from $36000 to $62000.
Category: Medical Job Descriptions