Physician Job Profile and Description
A Physician’s job necessitates providing appropriate timely assistance and advice to health care services. A Physician instructs, monitors, and advises junior medical officers or other health care professionals as appropriate. Most physicians work constructively and collaboratively with other health care professionals in attaining high standards of health care in their clinical expertise area.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervising the assessment, investigating, and providing treatment to admitted patients.
- Sharing health care duties of patients with other physicians to ensure the availability of a physician at all times.
- Conducting sufficient planned weekly ward rounds for monitoring care, checking progress, and allowing early discharge of patients under care.
- Managing appropriately outpatients and admitting them when necessary.
- Discussing with patients in providing medical care for any planned absence from health care work.
- Taking care and advising the patients referred by other hospital specialist colleagues.
- Admitting referrals to medical ward for appropriate investigation and treatment.
- Issuing a discharge summary to every patient prior to leaving the hospital.
- Making use of other health care departments like Audiology, X-Ray, Dental, Laboratory, Occupational Therapy.
- Referring the patients to other hospitals concerning patient diagnostics or rehabilitation with best medical practice.
- Ensuring that patients understand all treatments and procedures while providing health care.
- Maintaining effective relationships with patients without any cultural differences while dealing with patients.
- Discussing with medical officer regarding any complaints from patients relating to treatment and standards of care.
- Providing advice to patients and staff regarding disease prevention and health promotion.
- Ensuring the accurate maintenance of comprehensive medical records for in and out patients.
- Evaluating selected medical records of patients, case notes and discharge letters of patients at peer review.
- Instructing, guiding, and supervising junior medical staff.
- Participating in teaching sessions for other hospital and medical staff.
- Providing reports, contributing to developing, budgeting, and planning the medical services.
- Suggesting new initiatives to assist in providing effective medical services.
Skills and Specifications
- Knowledge of the practices and techniques of surgery and medicine.
- Knowledge of laboratory techniques and methods.
- Ability to conduct medicals in emergencies.
- Ability to maintain positive public relations.
- Ability to direct other physicians and professional staff.
- Able to communicate with others effectively.
- Able to provide direct care in a kind and compassionate manner.
- Able to respond appropriately even in stressful situations.
Education and Qualifications
- Medical degree from an accredited institution of medicine.
Category: Health Care Job Descriptions