Physician Specialist Job Profile and Description
Physician Specialists are professionals who are trained on a specific field of medicine such as cardiology, emergency medicine specialist, gynecology, neurology etc. Physician Specialists undergo training and education for many years in the fields that they choose to specialize. A Physician Specialists may work at a clinic or a hospital setting or sometimes in an emergency room in a hospital.
Physician Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
A Physician Specialist is required to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Diagnoses patient’s medical conditions to find out symptoms of disorders or diseases.
- Recommend appropriate surgical procedures for treatment.
- Supervise and perform surgeries to cure deficiencies, injuries or physical abnormalities.
- Oversee the laboratory activities and orders diagnostic procedures such as X-rays and other laboratory tests.
- Performs medical research and also acts as consultants to other physicians.
- Study the causes and effects of specific diseases and provide appropriate medication to patients.
- Prescribe medicines for treatment before and after surgery.
Physician Specialist Skills and Specifications
The following are the skills and specifications required by a Physician Specialist:
- Ability to make diagnoses and interpretations.
- Excellent communication skills are very important as he needs to communicate with several medical professionals.
- Good parental care skills are very important for a physician specialist along with humanity, confidence and empathy.
- Willingness to learn continuously and being updated with the current technologies in medicine is necessary.
Physician Specialist Education and Qualification
A Physician Specialist is required to possess the following education and qualification:
- A Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry or any related field for 4 years.
- Candidates need to take the Medical College Admission Test in order to apply for a medical school.
- A four year Doctor’s degree from an accredited medical school is required.
- Candidates need to take up residency programs to specialize in the selected field which takes 3 to 5 years according to the American Board of Medical Specialties.
- License can be obtained from the state in which the candidate intends to work and can be obtained after completing the United States Medical Licensing Examination.
- Certification can be obtained from the American Board of Medical Specialties after passing the required examination.
Physician Specialist Salary
A Physician Specialist earns in between $93,870 and $371,300 per annum and varies depending on the areas in which he has gained specialization. The job opportunities for Physician Specialists are found to increase in the coming years.
Category: Health Care Job Descriptions