Procurement or Purchasing Clerk Job Profile and Description
Every business needs Procurement clerks in charge of buying office supplies and raw materials needed for production. They compile requests from various departments for approved material requisitions, prepare purchase orders, keep track of purchases and supplies, and entertain inquiries about orders. They also ensure that the purchases arrived as scheduled and conform to specifications.
Procurement or Purchasing Clerk Duties and Responsibilities
- Process approved requisitions, prepare purchase orders and send copies to vendors and to originating departments
- Check inventory stocks physically or through automated systems to validate that restocking is in orders
- Determine inventory quantities are sufficient for needs and order more if warranted.
- Respond to vendor inquiries about clarifying orders, changes in requests, delivery requirements and cancellations.
- Contact vendors to ensure meeting delivery schedules and preclude missed deliveries.
- Resolve problems with vendors to expedite deliveries and to preclude supply shortages.
- Review requisition orders to ensure accuracy and correct line item specifications.
- Prepare, maintain, and review purchasing files, reports and price lists.
- Conduct regular review of vendor accreditation to ensure getting the most economical and cost effective supplies by comparing contractual and bid prices with prevailing competitive prices.
- Monitor status of requisitions, contracts, and orders.
- Post order costs in appropriate accounting systems.
Procurement or Purchasing Clerk Skills and Specifications
- Has high organizational skills to sort and handle timecards
- Has high computer literacy to use PC
- Has a good command of the English language, both verbal and written
- Has above average interpersonal skills to entertain concerns from workers
Procurement or Purchasing Clerk Education and Qualifications
- A high school diploma or GED is basic to the position,
Procurement or Purchasing Clerk Salary
The median hourly wage for procurement clerks was $17.36 in 2009 or $36,110 annually. It can go up or down depending on the industry and the company’s purchasing operations.
Category: Office Job Descriptions