Product Management Job Profile and Description
The job of a product manager entails the planning and execution of the product throughout its life cycle. He has the responsibility to plan the vision of the product concerned, gather customer feedback, work closely with engineering, marketing, support, sales and marketing department and ensure customer satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The product manager has to be involved in defining the strategy and roadmap of the product.
- He has to co-ordinate the functions of different departments of the company to ensure that the product quality is being met.
- He is responsible for working with external third parties regarding licensing opportunities and partnerships.
- During the early stages of product development, he is responsible for running beta and pilot programs.
- He has to collect as much information about competition as possible.
- He has to make sure that the product is in accordance with the company’s strategy and goals.
- He also has to be responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction with the end product.
Skills and Specifications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are a very important requirement for becoming a Product Manager.
- He should be equipped with good demonstration and presentations skills as well.
- He must be capable of influencing cross–functional teams without him being bestowed with formal authority.
- He should have the ability to work in teams as a lot of the job of product development and placement depends on it.
- He should be ready to travel frequently.
- He should be able to get his point across effectively.
- Very good management and organizational skills are also a must in this profession.
Education and Qualifications
A Bachelor’s degree is the minimum requirement for being a product manager. Having a Master’s degree in Business Administration is also preferred by most companies. A technical background is an added advantage in this profession.
Category: Management Job Descriptions