Prosthetist Job Profile and Description
A Prosthetist is someone who cures disability in patients or helps them use their damaged body parts. They are responsible for designing and creating artificial limbs or braces as per the needs of a particular patient and fit the parts in them. They assist the patients till they are capable of using the artificial devices or prosthetics.
They have to ensure that the device is working properly and they may also have to make necessary adjustments if required. A prosthetic’s responsibility is to make their patients exercise regularly and prescribe medicines.
Prosthetist Duties and Responsibilities
The various duties and responsibilities required to be carried out by a prosthetist are:
- A prosthetist needs to designs artificial limbs or prostheses for his patients
- A prosthetist assists the patients in using these artificial devices.
- They need to work closely with doctors, physicians, surgeons etc.
- They need to make the patients exercise regularly.
- Ensuring that the device is working properly and also fitting the patient
- Making necessary adjustments in the device if required
- They may sometimes receive prescriptions and specifications from the physician
- Modifying the plaster cast and constructing the appliances
- Using tools like cast cutters, vacuum moulding systems, vacuum presses and laboratory air circulating ovens
- Using computer programs and graphic software in order to design a device
Prosthetist Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required in order to become a prosthetist include:
- Needs to have good technical knowledge
- Must be updated with latest technology
- Should have an eye for detail
- Ability to understand the requirement of patients
- Ability to follow instructions accurately
- Should be organized in nature
Prosthetist Education and Qualification
The education and qualification required for a prosthetist are as follows:
- Bachelor’s program accredited by The National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education
- Master’s program accredited by The National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education
- Certificate program in orthotics and prosthetics
- An associate degree in similar field
- Undergoing supervised clinical practice proves to be an advantage
The salary of a prosthetist usually depends on the educational qualifications, skill sets they have and the setting they are working in. The average annual salary of an experienced prosthetist is somewhere around $59000 while the average salary for a beginner with bachelor’s degree is around $27000.
Category: Medical Job Descriptions