Retail Cashier Job Profile and Description
The position of a Retail Cashier is of great significance to an establishment. A person in this position is accountable for all billing and payment related functions of a retail store and is required to perform the task with the utmost concentration and dedication. Retail cashiers need to be well versed with the standard operating procedures of the company and execute their duties under the guidance of a head cashier.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Billing the customers for the goods, they intend to purchase and cross checking the billed amount for any mistakes.
- Verifying the goods with the items listed on the bill and procuring payment form the customers.
- Counting the received amount and handing the change to the consumers.
- Swiping the credit and debit cards appropriately for charging clients.
- Making entries of the procured payments in the cash registers.
- Ensuring that the goods are packed and handed to the customers at the checkout.
- Interacting with store customers and addressing any queries or grievances of the customers.
- Completing all the tasks assigned by the head cashier.
- Reporting any incongruity to the head cashier.
- Attending calls and taking telephonic orders for home deliveries.
Skills and Specifications
- Should have excellent written and verbal communication abilities.
- Ability to use a barcode machine and a card swiping machine for billing.
- Strong calculative and mathematical abilities.
- Ability to effectively manage time.
Education and Qualifications
- High school degree, diploma, or a GED equivalent qualification from an accredited institution.
- Experience of about 2 – 3 years as a retail cashier is an added advantage.
Category: Retail Job Descriptions