Secretary of Homeland Security Job Profile and Description
The Secretary of homeland security is the head of the Department of Homeland Security of the country. He has the overall responsibility of ensuring the effectiveness of the department against terrorist activities in the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The secretary of homeland security has to be knowledgeable about all laws related to the immigration and naturalization of citizens to the country.
- He has to direct and supervise the workings of all the staff of the homeland security department.
- He has to control the borders of the country to ensure that no illegal entry of aliens is taking place.
- He has to study and analyze any information regarding terrorist activities that may occur in the country and ensure that the state is prepared to counter such activities.
- He may have to involve himself in buying a land in a foreign country with temporary rights for use in protecting the security of the country.
- He has to submit the annual report of the homeland security department to the government every year.
- He has to involve himself in recruiting the staff of the department and may have to take personal interviews with top level staff.
- He has to hold regular conferences with the Secretary of State and other top level executives of the government.
- He has to lead the counter – action of the country in times of terrorist attacks.
Skills and Specifications
- The secretary of homeland security should have exceptional leadership and organizational skills.
- He should be an effective communicator.
- He should be able to handle crisis situations very well.
- He should possess multi – tasking skills and be a natural problem – solver.
Education and Qualifications
The secretary of homeland security should possess a Bachelor’s degree in public administration or a related field.
Category: Security Job Descriptions