Supply Chain Management Job Profile and Description
The supply chain manager of a company is responsible for overseeing all the steps that make up the supply chain process. He has to look after the product, from when it’s in the raw material stage to when it becomes available for sale. He has to plan, develop, manufacture, as well as do the logistics and distribution of the product.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The supply chain manager has to look after the entire planning process, including procurement, manufacturing, inventory control, distribution and logistics.
- He has to be responsible for making sure that each step of the process is being performed effectively so as to rule out lost sales opportunity and costly delays.
- He has to constantly communicate with key personnel and line managers in the procurement, manufacturing, inventory control, distribution and logistics department of the organization to ensure that they understand his objectives.
- He has to examine the process at hand and take steps for improvement and cost reduction.
- He has to maintain good relationships with vendors and ensure that the flow of materials remain unhampered.
- He has to arrange the distribution of the product and ensure that sales can be achieved effectively.
Skills and Specifications
- A supply chain manager needs to be equipped with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- He should have strong interpersonal skills as he has to maintain very good relationships with different sets of people.
- He should have good team working abilities.
- He should have an aggressive, direct and intensive approach and be willing to work long hours.
- He should have strong oratory skills and be able to address groups of people.
Education and Qualifications
Persons who want to shine in the field of supply chain management should posses a Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management or a related field.
Category: Manufacturing Job Descriptions