Surgical Dental Assistant Job Profile and Description
A surgical dental assistant manages all duties related to the dental surgery of a patient. Surgical dental assistants are generally employed by organizations, to assist various dental surgery professionals in their surgical procedures.
Surgeons themselves also often employ assistants to help them in their tasks. Irrespective of the employment procedure, the primary job of a surgical dental assistant is to provide complete assistance to surgeons in dental operations.
Surgical Dental Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities that a surgical dental assistant need to perform are:
- A surgical dental assistant needs to perform all primary tasks prior to the actual dental surgery – such as prepare the surgical theater, equipments required, medicines and injections, and also perform sterilization and such other jobs.
- The surgical dental assistant must be thoroughly practiced with the technical aspects, for it mostly he who needs to perform anesthesia of patients. So the process, its effect on various patients, the specifications of dosage, etc. need to be known to the individual as must be the health of the patient and his case history.
- The surgical dental assistant needs to perform a quick study of the patient’s medical conditions prior to sending him for the surgery. Any allergic or hyper reactions or unusual responses on part of the patient must be reported to medical unit staff or the surgeon directly.
- A surgical dental assistant is in-charge of the patient throughout the surgery; he needs to perform regular checks on the state of health and report any abnormalities in blood pressure, pulse rate, etc. observed in any stage of the process.
- The duty of the surgical dental assistant does not involve just the surgery; he needs to assist the patient as well with do’s and don’ts before and after the surgery, explain medicines and their prescribed doses, manage appointments, etc.
Surgical Dental Assistant Skills and Specifications
- Technical expertise in assisting dental surgeons is very important.
- Ability to understand and act upon instructions very quickly, and also execute directions perfectly.
- Interpersonal skills are required for a surgical dental assistant needs to interact a lot – both with surgeon as well as patients.
- Concentration on details of the tasks assigned and organize jobs effectively are crucial qualities required to be possessed.
Surgical Dental Assistant Education and Qualification
The education and qualifications required by a surgical dental assistant include the following:
- There are no strict regulations on the minimum level of degrees required to be obtained – a high school degree and technical training in the specific field at some college or as part of vocational programs are recommended.
- Most employers and organizations require candidates appearing for the position of a surgical dental assistant to hold an associate’s degree or certificates from a specialized training program.
- Licensure from State bodies or by the Dental Assisting National Board is compulsory.
- Hands-on experience in assisting dental/oral surgeons helps earn better job prospects.
Surgical Dental Assistant Salary
The average annual salary of a surgical dental assistant lies in the range of $38,000 – $52,000, with location and earnings of the institute or hospital and those of the surgeon determining the pay of the assistant. Individual expertise also affects the earnings of surgical dental assistants.
Category: Medical Job Descriptions