Teacher Assistant Job Profile and Description
A teacher assistant is an individual who provides support to the class teacher and pupils. They work under the supervision and guidance of classroom teachers and school administrators. Teacher assistants provide both instructional and non-instructional support. They help prepare bulletin boards, maintain student records and even teach the pupils. The assistants are put in charge of the schools’ audiovisual equipment. They not only set up but also operate stereo systems, televisions, film projectors and tape recorders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting in the social and educational development of students under the guidance of class teachers and the head teacher.
- Helping the head and class teachers in implementing school programs.
- Monitoring the progress of the students.
- Working with such professionals as occupational and speech therapists to effectively attend children with special needs.
- Helping class teachers prepare and maintain student records.
- Supporting pupils with behavioral and emotional problems with an aim of helping them develop their social skills.
- Preparing and presenting displays of works by the students.
- Supporting class teachers with such tasks as such as making copies of learning materials.
- Preparing materials to be used during lessons.
- Supervising the pupils in the classroom.
- Distributing assignments and tests.
- Distributing such teaching materials as pencils and textbooks.
- Organizing and placing labels on instructional materials.
- Helping the class teacher enforce the administration policies.
- Preparing such teaching aids as charts and graphs.
- Conducting demonstrations during the teaching of skills such as dancing or making of handicrafts.
- Taking class attendance.
- Organizing and supervising such recreational activities such as games.
Skills and Specifications
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Is passionate about working with kids.
- Takes directions well
Education and Qualifications
- High school diploma
- Associate Degree as a Teacher Assistant
Category: Education Job Descriptions