Terminologist Job Profile and Description
Terminologists are professionals who collect technical terms and perform research to itemize terms that are connected with a certain specific field and find equivalents of the same in another language. Terminologists create and define new terms for concepts that have not been named yet for the benefit of terminology users. The role of terminologists is an exceptionally challenging one. Candidates who look forward to work as terminologists have excellent opportunities for improving their general knowledge and also to sharpen their language skills. It is an excellent job opportunity for people with creative mind.
Terminologist Duties and Responsibilities
The following are the duties and responsibilities of a terminologist:
- Gather and document terms relating to a particular field.
- Create or develop equivalent terms in the language that is required.
- Interact with experts and authorities to verify terms to ensure technical and linguistic accuracy.
- Edit, revise and update terminology and facilitate its standardization.
- Promote the use of the terms that are standardized.
- Make the terminological data available to prospective users by compilation of dictionaries or glossaries.
- Provide linguistic and terminological assistance to the public by rendering an information service.
Terminologist Skills and Specifications
The following are the skills and specifications required by a terminologist:
- Very good knowledge and proficient in at least 2 official languages.
- Must pay attention to details.
- Excellent levels of general knowledge.
- Sound knowledge of computers and must be comfortable working with computers for long periods.
- Good at planning and organizing.
- Must be an excellent team player and comfortable interactive with scientists, language and other specialists.
- Willingness to learn new concepts constantly.
- Good at problem solving, decision making and at critical thinking.
- Excellent note making skills and ability to find information.
- Creative thinking is required.
Terminologist Education and Qualification
The following are the education and qualification required by terminologist:
- A Bachelor’s degree in English (or any language), computer science or any related field.
- Sound background in technology, economics, law and science is required.
- Good knowledge about computers and applications like MS Office and other software applications are necessary.
- Formal training in languages is necessary to become a successful terminologist.
- Sound knowledge of lexicography, terminography etc are required.
A Terminologist earns an average salary of around $151,000 per annum and it varies according to the location of the terminologist.
Category: Health Care Job Descriptions