Transport officer Job Profile and Description
A Transport officer must devise and implement transportation solutions as per the company’s needs and requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The main job of a transport officer is to gauge the transportation requirements of a company and devise a cost effective and feasible transport plan for the company.
- He must be able to improvise existing transportation solutions already being in force.
- He must keep up to date and proper inventory of all vehicles and perform daily checks on the same.
- He must perform checks of all vehicles to ensure that they are in working condition.
- He must keep logs regarding the total distance which is traveled by the vehicles.
- He should allot, monitor and over see all the responsibilities allotted to drivers, mechanics and cleaners.
- He might be required to work in accordance with the implementation team and be responsible to implement and deliver the transport solutions.
- He would be responsible for safe parking of the vehicles.
- He may need to oversee whether all insurances and licenses of the vehicles are renewed on time.
Skills and Specifications
- A Transport officer must have sound knowledge about vehicles.
- He must be able to provide quick solutions and improvise on existing ones.
- He must have excellent inventory management skills.
- He must have good management skills.
- He must have good communication skills.
- He must have good skills to deal with all types of people including drivers, staff members and senior members of the organization.
- He must be capable of working for long hours and at odd situations.
Education and Qualifications
Those who are interested in becoming a Transport officer must be a graduate. Candidates with a MBA in inventory management are given an edge over and above others .Those who have prior knowledge in transport industry have better chance than others.
Category: Transportation Job Descriptions