Volunteer Coordinator Job Profile and Description
A volunteer coordinator is a person who is responsible for the recruitment and management of volunteers for working in a particular organisation and helping them achieve the specific goals of that organisation. Volunteers are those workers who willingly offer their services, usually at a non-profit organisation, and work free of charge. Since volunteers are usually young people helping out along with their studies or other job, they must be coordinated properly so that the needs of the organisation are met. A volunteer coordinator may work for hospitals, animal shelters, social service groups, environmental groups or during any event like an award show, sports tournament and so on.
Volunteer Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a volunteer coordinator will involve:
- Identifying, interviewing and recruiting the right people to work as volunteers for a particular kind of job
- Assisting the staff in identifying volunteer projects
- Making the schedule of the work and delegating different tasks to the volunteers
- Organising events and gatherings and allotting the volunteers their job duties
- Keeping track of who is doing what and train them if necessary
- Keeping the general staff aware of the work done by the volunteers
- Managing resources and budget like reimbursements of expenses etc
- Motivating and encouraging the volunteers to remain focused in their work and do their best
Volunteer Coordinator Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required of a volunteer coordinator include:
- Great organisational skills
- Good management skills
- Positive, enthusiastic attitude and leadership qualities
- Good communication and people skills
- Knowledge about the goals and objectives of the organisation
- Ability to give engaging presentations
- Good networking skills
Volunteer Coordinator Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a volunteer coordinator are as follows:
- A degree or diploma in the related subject.
- Basic training in accounting skills.
- Basic knowledge of computers
Volunteer Coordinator Salary
The annual salary for a volunteer coordinator is around $30,000-$35,000 on an average. Experienced volunteer coordinators can over $40,000 per year while entry level volunteer coordinators start with $25,000. Some volunteer coordinators work on an hourly basis and they can expect to get $10-$15 per hour. Among the states in United States, Philadelphia and Boston pay the highest salary to volunteer coordinators. Ideally school districts have a lot of use for volunteer coordinators and hence they get paid more here.
Category: HR Job Descriptions