Aerobics Instructor Job Profile and Description
Aerobic fitness instructors help design a health plan for their clients. Instructors meet with clients to discuss fitness goals and the potential results of a fitness program based on each individual’s BMI, age, personal habits and activity level. Fitness instructors need to have a good understanding of a client and their health level. They can sketch out a plan for individuals of groups of similar fitness levels accordingly.
Once instructors have met with clients, they need to work with them on a regular basis, instructing the aerobic workout and increasing or decreasing difficulty as necessary. Instructors need to help clients keep the heart rate up without causing major stress to their physical system. Instructors also incorporate a variety of activities to improve muscle building and stretch the lung and heart capacity while keeping the sessions interesting. Instructors must also pay attention to participant’s questions and provide reading and resources at the end of each session.
Aerobics Instructor Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of an Aerobics Instructor will involve:
- Prepare a schedule of aerobic exercises that participants can undertake according to each participant’s individual capacity.
- Provide assistance and guidance to participants on ascertaining individual strength and capacity to undertake aerobics.
- Examine the movements of the participants and offer advice of correct posture to participants as and when necessary.
- Make sure that the participants follow proper techniques of breathing and exercise pattern so that physical strain does not cause other problems such as gasping or giddiness.
Aerobics Instructor Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required of an Aerobics Instructor include:
- Good interpersonal and communication skills are needed.
- Organizational and management skills will help one to supervise and manage a team.
- Technical knowledge and administrative management is helpful.
- Guiding on areas of diet, nutrition, exercise and health.
- Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Aerobics Instructor Education and Qualification
Having an Aerobic fitness certification is a great advantage; especially if this is a career in which an individual expects to excel at and reach a wide variety of clients. Relevant certifications are:
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- American Council of Exercise (ACE)
- Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFFA)
Aerobics Instructor Salary
An Aerobics Instructor can expect to get an annual salary of $45000-$50000. This can vary greatly as per the qualification, certification and experience of the Aerobics Instructor.
Category: Health Care Job Descriptions