A band teacher is a teacher who is responsible for directing a band and teaching it how to perform in sync. A band teacher gives band marching orders and imparts his/her knowledge and education to the band members about playing of various musical instruments etc.
A band teacher has to perform many duties and responsibilities and for this, he/she must be sufficiently educated and qualified. The following is a detailed band teacher job description which can be read to learn more about this job.
Band Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
A band teacher must perform the following given responsibilities and duties:
- A band teacher is responsible for identifying which pupil plays which musical instrument well and allot him/her that position in the band.
- He/she is responsible for selecting the best performers from a group of students and polish their musical instrument playing skills further.
- A band teacher must compose a musical tune and teach students how to perform in it with properly synchronisation.
- It is the duty of a band teacher to observe students and their weaknesses to help them improve and perfect their skills.
- Another responsibility of a band teacher is to evaluate the students, mark them for their performance and make sure that they are ready to give a stage performance for a competition or music event etc.
Band Teacher Skills and Specifications
The following are the skills and specifications which every band teacher must possess:
- A band teacher must be extremely knowledgeable about music, sound, musical instruments and music composition etc.
- He/she must have strong observational skills and leadership skills to be able to manage a band properly.
- A band teacher must be focused, hardworking, diligent and must be very creative as well.
- A band teacher should have strong organisational and managerial skills as well.
Band teacher Education and Qualification
The following are the band teacher educational qualifications:
- Knowledge of music and musical instruments is a must for any band teacher.
- Most employers ask for a bachelor’s degree in a field related to music or at least an associate degree or diploma in music education from anyone who wishes to apply for the job of a band teacher.
- License to teach is another necessary requirement for a band teacher.
Band Teacher Salary
On an average, any one working at the position of a band teacher can expect to earn an annual salary of $38000-$43000 with an experience of 0-2 years
Category: Teacher Job Descriptions