Restaurant Server Job Profile and Description:
The most important job of a restaurant server is to serve food and drinks to customers at a restaurant. This is not as easy as it seems. The individual has to deal with carrying heavy plates of food, being pleasant to customers, and complete his job efficiently simultaneously.
Restaurant Server Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of a restaurant server will involve:
- The job duty of a restaurant server includes serving food to the customer, taking down orders and explaining the menu to him. This is a very important component of the restaurant server’s work and can even be called his most important job duty.
- The restaurant server tallies the bill and takes the money from the customer at time. He or she serves as the intermediary or the link between the restaurant kitchens and the expectant customers, and if there are situations like delay in the serving of food, then it is the task of the restaurant server to explain the delay to customers and to placate irate patrons if needed.
- The restaurant servers are the fact of the joint, and therefore, an important job duty is to be helpful and smiling all the time.
Restaurant Server Skills and Specifications:
The skills and specifications of a restaurant server must be as follows:
- A restaurant server has to have basic knowledge about food and innovative culinary techniques, since he has to explain to the restaurant customer the nitty-gritty of the item ordered if it is not immediately understandable from the name.
- The restaurant server has to serve with care, know his table settings and in some cases, they also prepare food on the table like flambeaus, soups, salads, mocktails or cocktails. In such a case, of course, the restaurant server must have good culinary skills.
- Outgoing, pleasant are some of the adjectives which describe a successful restaurant server. He must have excellent conversational skills to keep the clients happy till the food is on the table.
Restaurant Server Education and Qualification:
The restaurant server needs to have the following educational qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED
- Sometimes a bachelor’s degree is required but it is not mandatory in the job of a restaurant server.
Restaurant Server Salary:
The average salary of a restaurant server is around 20,000 USD. This depends on the work experience of the individual server, the quality of the restaurant he is associated with, the post of work and skill and efficiency.
Category: Hospitality Job Descriptions